Boys & Girls Club of McAllen is a safe place to learn and grow – all while having fun. It is the place where great futures are started each and every day.In every community, boys and girls are left to find their own recreation and companionship in the streets. An increasing number of children are at home with no adult care or supervision. Young people need to know that someone cares about them.
Boys & Girls Club of McAllen offers that and more. Club programs and services promote and enhance the development of boys and girls by instilling a sense of competence, usefulness, belonging and influence.
THE ROLE OF OUR CLUBS: when school’s out, CLUBS ARE IN
For 50 years, Boys & Girls Club of McAllen has changed and saved young lives during the out-of-school time. We want every child in our community to be in a safe, constructive environment when they are not at home or in school. We provide that safe haven for nearly 8,000 youth every year, but there are many more who need it, and we can’t do it alone.
out-of-school A CRITICAL TIME
• 15 million kids (1 out of 4) leave school every day with no place to go. They risk being unsupervised, unguided and unsafe.
• Each summer, 43 million kids lack access to summer learning programs. Underserved children from low-income communities experience a dramatic learning loss and begin their next school year at a significant disadvantage.
• Research shows that what happens during out of school time can have a significant impact on reversing the negative trends facing our youth and our country, specifically youth dropout rates, obesity and violence.
• These hours serve as the essential link between school and home, offering the greatest opportunity to influence the future of our kids, our communities and our country.
• We seek to ensure that all kids, especially those who need us most, have a positive and enriching experience when the school bell rings, putting them on the path to success.